Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, January 24, 2010

firewall and turtledeck work

Cut the slots in the firewall today. This is where the fuel tank cradle attaches to the engine bearers. This was cut using a drill (1/4 in. bit) in successive holes followed by cleaning with a Dremel tool and finally filed smooth.



Two cuts were made.



I spent a bunch of time ensuring that each stringer was 1/4 in. above the bulkhead.



For you future Jenny builders - towards the last two bulkheads, the stringers must sink down to 3/16 in. This is because the side stringers (when I put them on soon) twist and lay flat at the end. The side stringers are 3/16 in. so it makes everything flush. When I get to this point, I'll take some detail shots to show you.

For now, I just deepened the hole with the Dremel tool.



And measured 3/16 in.



That's all for today. More soon

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home