Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, December 04, 2009

Fuel Shutoff bracket & Turtledeck

OK, Brian. Back to work.

I put the dado blade in the table saw this afternoon and cut the 1/4 in. grooves in the bulkhead support. Using the table saw made it easy to cut the 3/16 in. deep dadoes needed to hold the turtledeck stringers.



The bulkhead support will be glued to the first bulkhead later.

Also cut out the 1/4 in. thick steel for the fuel tank shutoff rod using the drawings I got from Paul Dougherty.

Using the bending blocks and the vice, the steel was bent into shape.

With the bandsaw, the flanges were given a 1/2 in. radius


Ground smooth on the grinder followed by a little file work.


And the bracket is shaped! Here's the bracket in place awaiting the lightening holes and the 5/16 in hole to support the rod.



Spent a lot of time making the mahogony frame for the baggage compartment, but after I removed the clamps, I was not happy with the way it turned out. My 45 degree corners were not as tight as I would have liked and the entire thing was not square to the door. So,I'm going to remake this piece. It happens.
Enjoy
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home