Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mahogany strips

Yesterday morning, I went to see Walter Ivey, who lives a few miles from my house. Walt and I work together and we have spent many enjoyable hours in thc cockpit together flying all over the place. Anyway, Walt is quite a wood worker and he was gracious enough to stop building some bathroom cabinets for his wife long enough to rip some rough stock Mahogany for me.



The strips will be used to frame the baggage door as well as the map table in the front cockpit. Solid Mahogany is used here, as opposed to the Mahogany plywood used to make the bulkheads.



I got an e-mail from Milt Clary the other day. If you remember, Milt spearheaded the construction of a mini-Jenny and he wrote:

I thought you would be interested in knowing that the 1/2 scale Curtiss Jenny I helped my church build back in the summer of 08 is now prominently displayed at the Museum of Science & History in Ft Worth.

As it turns out, there were several training bases there prior to our entry into WWI where RCAF pilots trained in Jennys. The museum has an aviation display highlighting the early days of flight in and around Ft. Worth and the Jenny was a major, if not the only player during that era.



I'm glad the Jenny found a good home. Thanks, Milt.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home