Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Longerons wrapping and fuel tank soldering

Today I spent some time sealing the holes in the fuel tank with solder. I wanted to eliminate as many leaks as I could this way before using the fuel tank sloshing compound. I put some water in the tank and the solder held - no leaks...so far !


Also, the fuel tank support pieces were sanded and given a second coat of varnish.


Before the turtledeck can be built, the splices on the longeron are wrapped with cord. I guess the Curtiss engineers were worried about strength because the splice is glued, held together with two brass screws and now wrapped with cord.




After the last wrap, the cords were given a coat of shelac.



Here is the first of three wraps completed today.


As I promised, here's more information about the Sidcot flying suits being manufactured by John Gaertner.



The Sidcot flying suit was developed late in 1916 by Sidney Cotton, (thus the abbreviated name “Sidcot”) was used by the British, French, and later, American Air Services. Service members found that the leather flying coats in use were simply not protective enough for the piercing cold of the high altitudes, often as high as 20,000 – 22,000 feet. A one-piece flying suit was found more protective.

Later models of the Sidcot were provided with electrical heating systems. In 1918, the American Air Service copied this design and the suit was affectionately dubbed a “Teddy Bear” flying suit
.

Enjoy
Brian


2 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

No new fuel tanks?

1:12 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Ben,

Original Jenny fuel tanks are hard to find. I was fortunate to find one in Minnesota and even though it was old and rusty, I just had to use it. It may give me fits later, but I like using original pieces whenever I can find them.

Don't worry. I have to make an oil tank from scratch yet.

Cheers

Brian

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home