Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fuel Tank

Today, the outside of the tank was cleaned with the Marine Clean solution. With a scotch brite pad and some elbow grease (lots of that) the dirt, gease and grime came right off the tank.




The rust was a different story. I was able to remove a lot of it with the scotch brite, but the POR 15 was designed for rusty surfaces and I was not worried about leaving some of it there.

After the tank dried, I applied the Metal Prep solution.




Then, the POR 15 was applied with a brush.




Here's the original tank drying in the shop.

You know, I debated long and hard about using the original tank. It was pretty beat up and far from perfect. There were a few dents, digs and surface rust areas. Nothing was bad enough from keeping it from being airworthy, it just looked...well...old. But hey...it's 91 years old. What did I expect?
The POR 15 did a good job giving it a shiny finish, but you can see the old rust areas (pitting) which would never go away unless I used body filler and I didn't want to do that. So, do you make a nice, perfect, NEW tank or use the old one?
If that old tank could talk, what would it say? Stories about young cadets learning to fly at Kelly Field, Texas in 1918? Giving passenger rides out of a hayfield in Kansas? Perhaps a crash or two along the way?
Nah, I'll take the original tank. Just for old times sake.
Enjoy
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home