Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, August 03, 2009

Shaping of the Langing Gear Airfoil

Started shaping the landing gear airfoil with a simple spoke shave and a lot of elbow grease. This little tool worked really well to get the basic airfoil cut to shape.

Then, I used the hand belt sander to shape to the proper contour, as checked by this cardboard template.


Then, my trusty twenty something year old Craftsman Belt Sander broke! Ah! A spring in the front roller assembly came apart thus endind the airfoil shaping for the day. I can't complain - the old machine never broke after those years of hard use, so I would say I got my money's worth out of the thing. Luckily, the support from Craftsman was good and I was able to get the parts from the Sears website. So Wednesday afternoon, I'll be back to making sawdust.


Several months ago, I was fortunate to correspond with John Morak. He was building a set of cabane struts for the restoration of a historic Curtiss Jenny in Fairbanks, AK and wanted to know if I had some drawings that they were missing. Once I saw John's work, I was impressed. I asked him to build a set for me and he agreed.

John took some spruce and bandsawed it to shape...


...and started carving.


A finished strut below.



Four finished struts with the Alaska wilderness outside.



Thanks, John. You saved me a lot of time!
I may have mentioned it before, but the EAA Chapter in Fairbanks, AK is restoring Ben Eilson's Curtiss Jenny for eventual display in the Fairbanks Airport terminal. Ben was a pioneed Alaska Aviator and his Jenny survived all these years, less the wings which were lost. The original OX-5 was replaced by a Hisso back in the late 1920's. I'm glad to see this historic machine being put back together.


Enjoy
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home