Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Peach Basket Airfoil Brackets

Broke out the torch today and welded the left set of airfoil brackets. I've been taking my time with this because I wanted to ensure the airfoil stayed level between the peach baskets. After sanding away the primer, I tacked the brackets in place, reassembled the entire gear, checked the alignment and satisfied, I broke it down for final welding.



Here are the brackets after bead blasting and painting with primer.



The airfoil needed a little sanding, but for the most part, everything lined up OK.



While I was waiting for the Peach Basket to cool, I built this bending tool - just a piece of 1/2 in. tubing on flat stock. The pattern in the photo will be the bungee cord bracket. It will require some bending, so look for this tool in use soon.



Also - an update on the 3rd wing. John Gaertner started installing the rear ribs. All the internal wires have been completed.



Lastly, Phil Mintari from Texas sent me pictures of his Jenny. He moved it from his shop to the hangar so the rigging process could begin. Phil is doing a great job and I thought you might like to see this.



It's pretty cool the wonderful people you meet while rebuilding old aeroplanes. Phil and his wife Patricia are two of those people. We've swapped parts and stories and their hospitality has been second to none.



I'll keep you updated as Phil's Jenny restoration continues.
Enjoy
Brian





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home