Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, August 07, 2009

Landing Gear Airfoil carved

Well, the belt sander is back in operation. The parts came from Sears and they were installed this morning. So, the sanding operation continued. I used 80 grit paper to rough sand the airfoil shape. Take your time here. You don't want to sand too little or too much.


Once the remaining three sides were carved, the butt ends were trued on the table saw.


To form the inside curve, I used a 1 in. sanding wheel on a hand held drill.


I put the peach basket brackets in place and marked the area that needed to be cut out for the bungee cords.


Here's the airfoil in place. It's not ready for permanent mounting yet, but I had to see it on the airframe at least once!



And a quartering view.


More later
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home