Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Peach Basket

All right - I got the rear support finished today. Here are the steps for when you get to do it!

First - bend the 90 degree tab. Make sure this is a sharp bend because it needs to hug the inside flange and you must have the 1 1/2 clearance inside the race for the axle.


Second - over bend the outside flange. If you omitted this step, and the piece stayed flat, the end would hit the peach basket when you made the main bend. Trust me. I learned this the hard way!


Third - I found that if you started a bend line, when you heat the metal, it continues to bend at your seam. If you did not pre-bend this, when you heat the metal and pull the flange into position, it made a curved, kind of "path of least resistance" bend. I found this out the hard way, too. The original peach baskets had a sharp bend and pre-bending slightly helps guide it along. Only bend a little and perhaps a tad more at the top.


Here you can see the angle difference between the top and bottom of the support. This picture was taken after heat was applied along your third bend. Notice that the pre-bent second angle just matches the peach basket angle perfectly. It also sticks up at the end, which leads us to the next step.


Just heat this area and tap it over with a hammer. That's why we drilled a little hole in the flange and cut out the relief.


When I made the pattern, I added extra material along this edge. Previously, I tried guessing the outline and when I bent the support, guess what? They didn't match. The bend pulled up my outline and the bolt holes didn't match. Adding material from the start solves the issue.
Trim away the excess material to match the outline.


Now its time to weld the edges.


Also, don't drill the lightening holes until after the support is welded. If you do, when you heat the bend, the flange doesn't bend evenly. Trust me on this....another thing learned because of a previous mistake.


Now that I'm smarter, I quickly cut out the left side supports and gave them their first bend. But, the rest of the bends will have to wait until tomorow.


Here's the "almost finished Peach Basket" - I have to weld the airfoil supports on the inside yet and drill the final holes.


Speaking of the airfoil, I made the pattern from the drawings and planed the wood to size.
Till next time
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home