Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, June 08, 2009

Left Peach Basket

Of course just when you get on a welding frenzy, your acetelyne tank runs dry! So this morning I had to run to Syd-Lee Welding Supply in Griffin, Ga to re-fill my tank.

Angel Miniet sent me an e-mail with a good observation and I forgot to mention it during the last peach basket construction. He noticed that I butt welded the flanges around the oval and ground the welds smooth. But, he was worried that the ground weld would not be strong enough and recommended that I weld the back side. I had debated doing this, but I worried the heat of welding would distort the oval (which I worked hard to keep straight) and I didn't want to go there. Angel's e-mail was what I needed to convince me to give it a try.

Today I clamped the oval to a piece of angle iron with several c-clamps and burned some of my new acetyline. Angel was right - the weld on the back side of the flange really made things stronger. It wasn't an easy weld because the angle iron acted like a big heat sink and I had to weld into a tight channel. But it went well.

After sandblasting the oval welds, I bent the front support. This gives a good view of the angles.



Here's another picture.



Anyway - Thanks Angel for the advice. If you remember, Angel built a neat model of a Jenny in the Cuban Air Force paint scheme.



He also sent a neat link with an original movie showing some Jennies at a Texas training airfield around World War I. It's worth watching, even if the film is old.

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/How_They_Trained.html




A scene from the Army Signal Corps film "Aviation Training in the United States," shot in 1917-1918


Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home