Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, May 25, 2009

Peach Baskets

Lots of time was spent today with the plumb bob, yardstick and buble level because I wanted to drill the holes in the gear legs. Perhaps I spent too much time measuring, but I wanted to make sure things were straight before I drilled the holes. Several times, I had to sand a little off each gear leg to make them fit.

First, I pre-drilled the gear leg holes in the peach basket. I made these holes undersized just in case I had to make some last minute adjustments. Then I put the gear legs in place and drilled through the wood. I'll drill them to the correct size when I'm satisfied everything is square.

The two tie rod holes were drilled to 5/16 in.



There are two threaded tie rods thah hold the peach baskets together. These will be hidden by the spruce airfoil to be built later.



The tie rods were temporarily secured with AN nuts.



Here they are. I was amazed how strong everything had become once the tie rods were secured.



More later
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home