Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Peach Basket

There are two side supports on the Peach Baskets. These were cut out from some 1/16 in. sheet steel on the bandsaw.


Here you can see the paper pattern. I only had a drawing for the front support, so I had to make my own pattern for the back one. It wasn't too bad.

But after the third support was cut, my bandsaw blade broke in half ! Ahhh. I shouldn't complain. The bandsaw had been faithfully cutting for several years. I ordered a new blade from MSC and it should be here today.
But, not to stop working - I drilled the lightening holes in the supports.


Here's the flat pattern in place. The flange has been bent 90 degrees to go inside the axle race and the rest of the support gets twisted to match the peach basket. I'll do this with a torch later.


Also, the front gear airfoil support was made on the form.


It will be welded here.


More later
Brian

1 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

Lookin' Good Brian. Are you lubing your bandsaw blade before cutting that steel? I saw an EAA vid where they used a candle to add a little wax to the blade before cutting.

You probably already know this, but just in case...

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home