Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

peach basket

The inside curve was welded into the peach basket. You can easily see where the 1 1/2 in axle goes now.



Since the original peach baskets were one piece and bend inward to make the flanges, I decided to grind the welds smooth. The effect will look the same. So, out came the grinders....



After a rough grinding, files were used to smooth things out and finally some 220 grit sandpaper finished the process.



Almost done.



There is a 1/16 in. steel piece that strengthens the outside and inside parts of the peach basket. I made a paper pattern and transferred it to steel. This will be bent and welded later.



This morning I picked up a few water jet cut pieces from Dynamic Edge Technologies in Newnan GA. My friend David Daugherty did the CAD work for the pieces that hold the airfoil in place between the landing gear and the bungee cord covers.

John Porokski (the owner of Dynamic Edge) gave me the tour of the place while I was there. What a neat machine! I was amazed by what it could do. Anyway, I would highly recommend Dynamic Edge if you need anything cut by a water jet machine. They were fast, reasonably priced and good to their word.



Here are the water jet parts.

You'll see them used as progress on the peach baskets progress.
Till then....
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home