Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Landing Gear Legs

Good Jenny day today ! I didn't get picked for jury duty (only one case and they didn't get to my number) so I spent today working out the gear legs. I'm happy to say things went really well.

I should have mentioned earlier, but I used modeling clay to get an image of the rear gear leg shape.


This picture shows the clay after removal from the peach basket. Now I had a general idea where to start cutting.


I put the clay template next to a piece of 2 x 4 scrap pine, marked the angles and started trimming. I had a chance to experiment - sand more in one place, change the angle in another etc.


With what I learned on the scrap piece, I started cutting on the gear leg. Things went really well. I got the leg "roughed in" and tomorow I will do the finish sanding. Also, I have to figure out how much spruce will have to be cut out to accomodate the axle.


Next step is cutting the other end of the gear leg so it fits the rear gear fitting.

Till then
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home