Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Good Jenny day today. Productive.

There is a triangular "wedge" that takes up the space between the gear legs and the side of the peach basket. Luckily, Doc Hood made a drawing of this piece. From what I can tell, no drawing exists for this wedge, so I owe one to Doc for doing this. Anyway, I transferred Doc's numbers to a piece of spruce.


This gives you an idea as to where the "wedge" goes. You can see my line which marks the angle of the cut.
Speaking of the cut - the wedge is tapered. The thick side is 1 1/4 in and the skinny side is 1/8 in. Using scrap pieces of pine, I got the table saw angle just right and cut the wedge.

Plus, there is a cutout for the axle. The other wedge was made the same way.

The right gear legs were finished as well this afternoon ! Lots of sanding and cutting, but I was pleased with the results.


I also wanted to show you the turtle deck with the lightening holes cut out.



Lastly, John Gaertner has the cap strips on the second lower wing.



He also put the rudder bar pedestals into CAD. Next step here is to have the resin patterns made for casting.



Till tomorow
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home