Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Since it was a rainy day, and the kids were home, and the wife wanted the dining room painted, I only had a couple of hours of shop time. But, I did get the engine bearer hold down plates made.


The round rod will be cut to size later and all four rods will be heat treated shortly. Then a little plate will be brazed to the top.

I also finished the last bit of coppering on the seat rails and supports. They are complete and if the rain stops tomorow, I'll get them varnished.


Ken Rovie, who spearheaded the amazing scratch built Jenny hanging in the museum at St. Paul, MN sent me a few patterns they used to make their castings. Although I already have the "fan" casting, someone else might need one someday and we can cast one from Ken's pattern. Thanks, Ken!



Before I had to call it a day, I spent a bunch of time measuring, guessing and studying the intricate cuts I needed to make on the rear gear leg soon. Just like the front leg, I want to get it right the first time. Just like the front leg, the cuts on the back leg are also critical. Stay tuned.
A number of people have asked me "What about your wings?" A friend of mine is building them right now. We decided this several months ago when we measured the progress on the fuselage. Not wanting this to turn into a ten year endeavor, we decided to speed things up a bit more and have John Gaertner work simultaneously on the wings. Here's a picture of his progress.
His workmanship has exceeded our expectations!
John is also a talented machinist. For example, he built the special eye bolts inside the wings.
Plus, he's doing the CAD work for our castings.
You can see more pictures at www.blueswallowaircraft.com.
As the wings progress, I'll post more pictures. Until then, I have to finish the last coat of paint in the dining room.
Brian

2 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

Excellent work Brian, You are truly a craftsman.
I have been waiting for your wings construction as I have a few questions, You may remember I mentioned earlier I built a 1/5th scale Jenny. I am curious to see the section where the interplane struts attaching blocks are mated to the wing rib. Can you please show a picture? and what are you going to use for an air speed indicator?

Best regards

Angel

11:42 AM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Sure, Angel. Good to hear from you again. Send me an e-mail at my home address briankarli@bellsouth.net and I'll send you several pictures.

I was planning on using a good ol' Johnson Airspeed Indicator on one of the wing struts.....and probably an old airspeed indicator inside the cockpit, too. Haven't thought about it too much.

Cheers

Brian

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home