Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, March 23, 2009

Fuselage rigging

I spent the greater part of the afternoon rigging the fuselage today. I thought this would be an easy task, but I ended up spending way too much time on it. I started at the front and worked my way rearward, ensuring that each bay was square and level. It went pretty well until I got to the last three bays. Somehow, I developed a twist at the tail post. I've been frustrated trying to get it out and I'm still tweaking it. It's pretty close, but I'm not satisfied yet. Anyone have any advice about how to rig a wire braced fuselage?



I used a simple bubble level taped to a board so I could span the longerons vertically and horizontally.



Sometimes you have to put away the tools and take a break.

My friend Ed Rodgers at Indian Lake High School sent me this neat picture. I cropped it a bit to see more detail, but it's still a great picture. Looks like the barnstormer isn't going to starve on this particular day.



Also, Paul Dougherty sent me these photos of the newly displayed Jenny in Washington DC. The Golden Age Air Museum had their annual bus trip to the Air and Space Museum and they were delighted to see the incredibly original JN4D above their heads.



The airplane was stored at Silver Hill for many years and thankfully the museum decided to display it untouched as it flew back in 1918.



More later this week.
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home