Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Fuselage and landing gear

I know its been a week since my last post, but I have not been idle. I decided it was time to put the Jenny on its gear. As you can see from this photo, the square end of the gear leg has to be cut at all kinds of funny angles to fit inside the peach basket. The original drawings were somewhat vague, so they didn't help.



I already have a set of carved gear legs, so I didn't want to ruin them by making a wrong cut. So I took several pieces of scrap pine and cut/sanded them to get the correct shape. This took several attempts. Here's one of the practice pieces. This is where a lot of my time had been spent lately - trying to figure out how to make these cuts! Hopefully this weekend, I'll start cutting the carved gear leg.



Spring has come to Georgia and the shop needed a good scrubbing. Plus, since building the gear was the next step, the jig table needed to be broken down. I had some help with this.


Here's the shop now - cleaned, rearranged and minus the center of the table. A day's work.


Here's the fuselage in the sunshine.




More this weekend
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home