Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Elevator Bellcrank

Todays progress was aimed at the elevator bellcrank located behind the rear seat. A year ago, Mr. Robert Summers from Ohio was kind enough to part with his original Jenny bellcrank assembly and I put it aside until now.





As you can see from this close up picture, the bellcrank was damaged. Originally, there was a flange attached here that connected (via a ball and swivel) the control stick to the bellcrank. Obviously, this had to be repaired.


I looked at several restored Jennies, and consulted the few drawings that were available, and each one was slightly different. So, I decided to proceed this way:

I took what remained of the original flange and straightend it out. The material wasn't too thick, .032 in to be exact. Onto this flange, I welded two 5 inch long steel pieces, joining them side by side as well as running a bead along the inside where the jagged original flange ended.

I used a block of aluminium to keep the pieces uniform and straight.

The collar that held the flange in place was brazed to the tube and secured with a split pin. I rebrazed this area, too.




Then, a front and back brace was welded into place. The flange was cut to 4 1/2 inches long with 1 1/8 in free for the rod end bearing. Thankfully, I got this measurement from the Golden Age Air Museum's Jenny, for I could not find this distance anywhere on the drawings.



Here's the rod end in place. Eventually, there will be two bushings made to keep the bearing in the center.



Here's where the bellcrank fits in the fuselage.


Had a little extra time leftover to re-make the engine bearer U bolts. Because the Hisso sits up higher than the OX-5, the first batch of U-bolts I made from the drawings were worthless. So, out came the bending block and hammer.


Here they are fitted on the bearers.


They need to be threaded yet, and heat treated, but that's another project for another day.
Till next time,
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home