Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, December 08, 2008

Tail Skid

Now that the bend was completed, both ends had to be flattened and bent so as to fit the top and bottom of Station 11.

The tube was flattened by simply squeezing it in a vice. Because the metal was already stretched, I decided to heat the bend.



This is how the tube fits in Station 11 (upper). Noticed the flattened, bent tube.



Here's a picture of the tube with both ends flattened and bent.



The plans call for the flattened tube to measure 0.233 in. A doubler of .063 steel was cut from stock and everything was ground to the 22/32 in. radius called by the drawing.




After tack welding the sides, the back part of the doubler was heated and bend to match the tube.

Here's a completed end.


Here's the tube cooling after both the ends were finish welded.



This is how things will go together. Watching the individual parts come together is neat, but this kind of gives you the big picture. Bungees will wrap around the tube and skid and I have to build the pivot next.


Till then....enjoy


Brian

3 Comments:

Anonymous superior said...

Although there are differences in content, but I still want you to establish Links, I do not
fashion jewelry

9:23 AM  
Blogger Archie Tennant said...

Brian, I found your blog site tonight while searching for info on the Jenny. I must say you are doing one wonderful job. I would like to ask if you would be able to give me any information to where I can find prints or drawings of the Jenny. I have been restoring aircraft for many years and my long time dream is to build a replica.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Archie,

Sure, I can help you with that. When you get a chance, email me directly at briankarli@bellsouth.net and I can tell you more about it.

BK

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home