And the oscillating spindle sander was used to sand to the pencil line.
Next, the markings were drawn to represent the tapers. The skid actually had an "airfoil" shape. The front and back were not symmetrical.
Here is the trailing edge before hand sanding with 220 grit.
The leading edge was shaped in the same manner, but it had a gentle 3/4 in. radius all the way around. Below is the tail skid in place. I can fantasize, can't I? I still have the tubing structure to build yet before this picture becomes reality.
One of the enjoyable aspects of rebuilding this plane is the opportunity to meet many people. The other day, Tom Hegy stopped by the house on his way to Florida.
When I first started the Jenny project, I figured that it would take me some time to find an engine. After all, Hisso's aren't very common engines and the people who have them aren't too willing to part with them (says something about the engine). Anyway, I put a blind ad in Trade-A-Plane and Tom called me right up. He didn't have an engine, but he knew somebody who did and that was the engine we ended up getting! I thought that was a nice thing to do.