Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, December 22, 2008

Tail skid fitting

The wooden tail skid pivots on a metal fitting bent around the skid tube and I decided to tackle this part today. This drawing was available and it was easy to transfer the dimentions to a paper pattern.



The steel is pretty thick stuff - .100 steel - guess they wanted the tailskid to be strong. Anyway, the only way to bend metal of this thickness is to heat it with a torch. I bent it over a spare piece of 1 in. tubing (same as the skid tube) using a lot of heat and a bit of persuasion (hammer).



After transfering the paper pattern to the steel, I couldn't cut it in the bandsaw any more. The bend took care of that. So, I reverted back a tried and true method - the hacksaw! It worked perfectly.



The grinder took care of the rest.



Here is the piece after grinding.



And trial fit into place.



From my calculations, there is a 1 in. gap between the tube and the skid. This allows room for a bumper pad. Next step will be dressing the fitting and drilling the holes.
Till then
Brian

1 Comments:

Anonymous technology said...

A friend told me this place I have been looking for, I come, it turned out, I have not disappointed, good Blog!
runescape money

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home