Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fuselage out of the jig !!!

It's been unusually cold in Atlanta for the past few weeks. This hampered my wire soldering technique. It seemed that every time I pulled the iron from the wire, it instantly solidified. Even with a lot of flux, the cold temperatures (about 40 degrees) kept the solder from flowing.

So, I thought about it.

I decided to direct a small cube heater on the end of the wire being soldered. This kept things warm and the solder flowed much better. I was amazing how much heat that little box produced! Plus, it blew the smoke out of the way, which I liked. Now my hands stayed toasty warm and my feet froze.



In the mail yesterday came a box from Rich Davidson. He had collected a bunch of miscelaneous Jenny parts and thought I might be able to use them. Rich and Ginger live on a picturesque grass strip ajacent to a gorgeous river in southern Indiana. Man, it doesn't get better than that.

Anyway, they sent several control pullies that I could use (below)



And an original section of Station 3.



Rich also sent a control fan that had obviously survived quite a crash. This fan sits under the rear seat. If it was bent (and this is a casting) than I hate to think what happened to the guy in the seat!



I can't thank Rich and Ginger enough for helping me with the parts. The pieces will fly again. If you get a minute, look up their airstrip at www.leebottom.com They put on several top-notch fly-ins each year and everyone I know who attended the fly-ins spoke highly of the events.

Well - the moment of truth had finally arrived :



After soldering the last few wires, the fuselage came out of the jig...for good I hope.



Several of the neighborhood kids were playing in the back yard when I volunteered them to help carry the fuselage out of the shop. Now they know it's really an aeroplane I'm building rather than a bridge (Yea, someone once asked "are you building a bridge?"). My kids are on the front and back end of the line up.


Here's another shot.


The empty table seemed so strange! This will be broken down when I get a chance. Poor Brighton was distraught. He couldn't figure out where his swing set went.
Have a good Thanksgiving holiday. More after that.
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home