Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Fuselage details

Here's how the tie rod finally goes together (see previous blog). When I get enough parts together to justify breaking out the paint gun, the grey primer will become black urethane.



A month ago, Ken Rovie sent me this nifty tool used for straightening piano wire. When you get the wire from MSC, it comes in a tight spool. Working with it is like wrestling with a big spring. So, a few passes through this tool straightens things out. The wire doesn't come out perfectly straight, but it's pretty close.



One of the wires I built today was the transverse wire at Station 5. You can't have a traditional "lower longeron to upper longeron" transverse wire because your feet would get in the way. So, Curtiss raised the attach point so you can reach the rudder bar. I found each Jenny to be a little different here. One Jenny I researched had a tab and shackle in this area and one other had the eye-bolt going through the vertical station. I decided to go with the eye-bolt method, but the bolt would go through the rear longeron bolt location.



The wire transverses to the bracket on the other side.



And looks like this.



While I was bending wire, I finished the last wire in the tail post area. These wires have to be built on site because the wires hook directly to the tailpost fitting. There is not a shackle here (upper right of the picture) so you can't make the wire somewhere else and attach it with pins.



Lastly, I received a package from Ed Rogers and his students at Indian Lake High School in Lewistown, Ohio. They offered use of some patterns they had made for a Jenny seat and I took them up on their offer.

When the box arrived, not only tha pattern was there, but the students had made a Canuck control stick. Each student took time to sign their name. That was really neat and I was touched.

Just for fun, I stuck the stick into the control stick casting and it fit perfectly. Looks like they made an accurate Jenny part. Nice work, everyone.
Later,
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home