Here's how the tie rod finally goes together (see previous blog). When I get enough parts together to justify breaking out the paint gun, the grey primer will become black urethane.
A month ago, Ken Rovie sent me this nifty tool used for straightening piano wire. When you get the wire from MSC, it comes in a tight spool. Working with it is like wrestling with a big spring. So, a few passes through this tool straightens things out. The wire doesn't come out perfectly straight, but it's pretty close.
One of the wires I built today was the transverse wire at Station 5. You can't have a traditional "lower longeron to upper longeron" transverse wire because your feet would get in the way. So, Curtiss raised the attach point so you can reach the rudder bar. I found each Jenny to be a little different here. One Jenny I researched had a tab and shackle in this area and one other had the eye-bolt going through the vertical station. I decided to go with the eye-bolt method, but the bolt would go through the rear longeron bolt location.
The wire transverses to the bracket on the other side.
And looks like this.
While I was bending wire, I finished the last wire in the tail post area. These wires have to be built on site because the wires hook directly to the tailpost fitting. There is not a shackle here (upper right of the picture) so you can't make the wire somewhere else and attach it with pins.
Lastly, I received a package from Ed Rogers and his students at Indian Lake High School in Lewistown, Ohio. They offered use of some patterns they had made for a Jenny seat and I took them up on their offer.
When the box arrived, not only tha pattern was there, but the students had made a Canuck control stick. Each student took time to sign their name. That was really neat and I was touched.
Just for fun, I stuck the stick into the control stick casting and it fit perfectly. Looks like they made an accurate Jenny part. Nice work, everyone.