Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fuselage

Had a helper today. He had fun putting the wrapped and soldered wires back into place.



Brighton and I were able to get stations 5 and 6 done. The remainder of the wires have been built, but many are awaiting soldering. Hope to make that tomorow's project.



Every station in the Jenny has some sort of cross bracing, usually in the form of "X" wires. However, the front of station 4 is a little different. You can't put "X" wires there because the wires would interfere with the front seat and controls. So, to ensure that the upper longerons stay together, Curtiss used a tie rod.

I bought some 1/4 in. threaded rod from MSC. Perhaps I'm being too picky, but the thought of bare threads spanning the upper fuselage bothered me. So, I decided to put the rod inside a steel tube. This picture shows the tube after cutting to 24 in. length and fitted in place.



Then the rod was inserted.



Here's another shot showing how it goes together. I primed the tube this evening and once it's dry, I can install the two 1/4 -20 nuts on the ends.

More soon

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home