Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, October 24, 2008

Fuselage

Whew! The fuselage is now bolted together. I had some time to put a few wires in place, which will be the next step. It was amazing the amount of time this step consumed. Every bolt had to be cotter keyed. It was also amazing (and I had been warned - thanks Paul) that even the addition of the thin copper on all the ends would make things fit "a little tighter". This was true, so plan on that.



Here's another shot of the fuselage.


And one more.


Hope to get the wires reinstalled soon, and get things true and square.
In other Jenny news....
Paul Dougherty at the Golden Age Air Museum in Bethel, PA is getting closer to flying their Jenny. The sign painter came to the shop the other day and painted the lettering on the side. The results are fantastic! This paint scheme (as you remember) is the scheme used by the famous California barnstormer Earl S. Daugherty in the 1920's...no relation to Paul, but a neat coincidence. I'll keep you updated as Paul sends me progress pictures.
Also, the kids at Indian Lake High School have sent pictures of their project, which they are building in their shop class. Boy, I wish I had a shop class like that when I was in High School. We just made tool boxes.



Anyway, they have the makings of a center section, (below) which is pretty neat.
Till next update (probably late next week).
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home