Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ash for floorboards

The Jenny floorboards are made of 1/4 in ash, three pieces glued together each 7 3/4 in. wide.

I considered using commonly available mahagony plywood, but the floorboards support the control sticks and rudder pedals so they had to be fairly strong. So, I had to find some wide, thin ash.

After much searching, I found Atlanta Hardwoods in Mableton GA.


The Atlanta Hardwoods warehouse was really neat! I saw all kinds of different wood types, from good 'ol common USA oak to some purple African wood with lion teeth marks still in it. My kind of place.

Anyway, the nearest size wood was either 1 in. or 2 in. deep planks. This wood will have to be planed to size. I'll do that later. Also in this pile - the tail skid ash and the engine bearer ash - both of which will require special cuts.

Thanks to local woodworker Walter Ivey for telling me about Atlanta Hardwoods.

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home