Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Lower Spider Plate

All right, the stone fireplace is taking longer than I expected and I needed to work on the Jenny a little bit before I lost my mind!

The Hisso installation has posed it's own set of challenges. As far as I know, there are no drawings for the Hisso spider plate, thus I used an OX-5 spider plate for the top half and made a custom support for the lower half. I have lots of pictures for this (for originality) but no real drawings. It would have been nice to plug the coordinates into a CAD machine and cut out a precise arc to the lower plate, but I wasn't sure if it would match up with the radiator - of which we had no drawings either - so we have to do this manually.

Here's what I'm talking about. I had the lower plate cut out on the water jet cutter, with the top, sides and bottom generously enlarged for the unknown curveature of the radiator.



The excess metal on the top was bandsawed away to meet the top OX-5 spider plate.



Like this. Eventually, these two pieces will be precisely fit and welded together. This was the first rough fit.



There will be a layer of felt between the lower plate support lip (to be installed next) and the brass radiator. I'm guessing the felt will be about 1/4 in. thick. I traced the outline of the radiator on the back side of the plate, allowing room for the felt and the doublers.



Next step: cut the arc and weld the 1 in. lip to support the radiator. Hope to do that Friday. Till then...

BK

1 Comments:

Blogger Victor Hugo said...

Legal seu blog

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home