Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Engine Mount rings

My next step is to put the engine in place and get the radiator/ lower spider plate lined up. So, I decided to firm up the engine bearers. They are held together with some bracketry, U-bolts and some thru-bolts.


To make the U bolts, I got a big bar of 2 in. steel stock and rounded the corners. Then, some 1/4 in. round steel was bent to the U shape.





You will need four U bolts. I left the legs longer than needed to make the bending process easier. The legs were then cut to 7 1/16 in.





The U bolts sit on top of the engine bearer. There is a small 3/8 in. wide plate the will be brazed to the U bolt. These were cut out of .060 sheet steel, drilled and filed with a bevel.






Here's the plate ready for brazing.









This is how it goes on the engine bearer.





Thankfully, I had a drawing for this!

Next step is brazing and cutting the threads. Till then,

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home