Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Front Landing Gear Fittings

Back home after taking the wife, kids and in-laws on a week long vacation. We had a good time and yours truly actually got to spend an entire day at the Sun-N-Fun airshow.

Back to work on the Jenny!

I got a call from Clint at the machine shop. The front landing gear bending jig was ready.



Other than pictures, I did not have any original drawings of the front gear fittings. Luckily, Doc Hood made some pretty accurate drawings. I used these drawings to design the bending block as well as the patterns for the fitting.



Here's another shot of the bending block. I had Clint put the 27 1/2 degree angle on each end. You'll see how this comes into play later.



Here's the process: I took the .063 in. water jet cut steel and marked the centerline. Here is where you make the first bend, mostly by hand, after heating the centerline. I used two vice grips, one on each end of the steel.



Heat slowly with the torch, pulling the ends downward. Sometimes, a few taps with a hammer made the steel follow the form. Keep the front end clamped. It helped keep things in place.



Then I flipped things over and worked on the back side.



The steel was a little long (about 1/16 in. on each side) so I cut off the excess with the bandsaw and a file.



The end was welded and the fitting pulled off the block. I started making the second fitting, but ran out of time.

While I was on vacation, Ed Rogers from Indian Lake High School sent me some pictures of their shop project. His students had made quite a bit of progress on their Jenny. I'm pretty proud of them and hope they keep plugging away.



Till next time, enjoy.

Brian

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ricardo T. said...

Hi Mr Carli: In first place sorry for my poor English!
I congratulate you for your excellent work with the Curtiss Jenny restoration. It is the kind of work what I dream I’ll do some day. But I know here in Argentina, where I live, this is far impossible. But I satisfied me with a modest work of aeromdelling, and this E-mail is for make you a question:
I’m building a 1/8 Scale of a Curtiss Jenny, and, As I read in your blog, I have the same hard work with the wiring! Now the question and maybe you will have the kindness to answer me: which is the diameter of the wing wiring? I’ll use Dakron thread, but I don’t know what a diameter to use to match the scale of the original wire.
I’m a small scale modeller to, and I do some airplane art with wood. Here is My web page.
http://members.fortunecity.com/holzfarben/
The best wishes from the far Argentina, for you and for your excellent Curtiss Jenny restoration.
Ricardo T.
Argentina

5:18 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for enjoying the Jenny restoration process. I hope this blog helps a lot of Jenny builders in the future. Sorry for the delay answering your e-mail. I had been working a lot (not on the Jenny) and finally had some time to get you the information you requested.

The wing wiring : All the wires inboard of the wing struts are 5/32 in. The outboard most wires and the king post wires (on the top of the wing near the upper ailerons) are 1/8". The drag wires from the engine to the lower wing are 5/32".

Lastly, the center section wires are 1/8".

I hope this answers your question. Thank you for allowing me to see the beautiful models on your website. I look forward to seeing a Jenny model someday!

If there is anything else I can do to help you, please ask.

Cheers

Brian

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home