Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, February 18, 2008

Wire wrapping

Finished building 4 wires today. They are the cross wires on the fuselage sides between Station6 and Station 5. This is the first transition point from the hard wires to the cables.

I found that my new tool worked very well. I also found that keeping the wire level as you wrap really made life simpler. That's why you can see the loose end clamped to the board on the right.



Here's a closer view. This picture shows the point just before the wrapping was slid up tightly to the thimble. It closed the gap in the cable and made things neat and tidy. After that, the wrapping continued followed by the traditional soldering.



Here's the completed fitting at Station 5 upper.



Nothing exciting to report here - just lots more cables to build!

Enjoy

Brian

3 Comments:

Blogger mariolucchini said...

Great blog!
I've seen it over and over...
I'm an architect living in Chile (South America), and I'm beggining to build a 1/16 scale static model of the Jenny.
I wonder if you could send me more data of it, more pics or plans...
I intend to build a museum like quality model...
Thanks in advance.
Best regards

Mario Lucchini D.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a good site for modelers, plenty of info on scale Jennys.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=39

These are Proctor kits, but the how-to is generally applicable. You'll have to register to access the site.

David Paule

8:03 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Mario,

Sure, I would be glad to help you with drawings and pictures.

E-mail me at briankarli@bellsouth.net and I will give you more details.

Thanks!

Brian

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home