Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, January 04, 2008

Visit to the Golden Age Air Museum

I went back to Pennsylvania last week to say good bye to my aviation mentor Bill Schadler (see back a few posts) and while I was there I stopped to see Paul Dougherty at the Golden Age Air Museum.

Paul, his father and the crew are nearly finished with their Jenny restoration. As you can see from the picture, the workmanship is magnificent.



Here's a shot of Paul making the access door opening in the Jenny side cowl. Paul probably saw the look of envy on my face as I admired the great looking louvers he had made.



Feeling generous, Paul made me a set of cowl access doors to take home! Check these out:



Paul made these louvers by pressing a rubber sheet into a female mold with a hydraulic press. By the way they turned out, I'd say his ingenuity was effective.



Paul also made an extra set of windshields for me. Since no real guidance survives (old blueprints or drawings) He spent hours trying to get the windshields exactly right from old photographs. Thanks, Paul.

If you get a chance, check out the Golden Age Air Museum website www.goldenageair.org

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home