Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Station 4 & 5 Spar Carry through

Productive day today! It's neat when you collect parts and pieces and make a bunch little parts, and then one day you put them all together and makes something. The spar carry through was this way.

I has the ends milled a few months ago and the wire bracket water-jet cut before that, so buying the tubing and threaded rod was the last step in the process. These tubes carry the load between the two lower wings.



The tubes are hefty - 1 1/2 in wide and .065 thick. Plus, there is a threaded rod in the tube holding the ends in place. I used 7/16 rod with fine cut threads purchased at MSC. Lastly, there is a collar behind the wire bracket. Originally, this collar and bracket were one piece - pressed I imagined. I decided to make them out of two pieces. In this case, it's 1 3/8 tubing .120 thick.



The entire thing is then brazed together. Pretty neat. Tomorrow I hope to set them in place.

Till then

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home