Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, November 09, 2007

fuselage hard wires

Built the cross wires for stations 7,8 and 9. When I reach the tail post, then I'll install the lower longerons and start working on the front.

My friend Dave Daugherty came by the shop and helped build some wires. His son Carter (on the table) and my youngest son Brighton (checking the air compressor hose) supervised.




Here's a shot of the progress. Note - when you're making the wires, the natural curve from the coiled roll tends to pull the vertical pieces towards you. This ruins all the time you spent trying to keep the structure nice and square! So to combat this, I made a fixed brace on the first vertical. That gave me something to pull against. Now, when you make wires, you can take the slack out of the wire by tightening the turnbuckle without moving the vertical piece.




From the other side.



More wires to come soon!

Brian

1 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

Wow! The fuselage is coming together nicely. It's starting to look like an airplane -JT

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home