Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, October 26, 2007

Station 3

I saved the most critical (in my opinion) piece for last. This is where the cross brace goes horizontally across the inside of the fuselage at Station 3. I deem it critical because the engine mount rests here and alignment is pretty important.

If you remember, the OX-5 Jennies have down thrust built into the engine bearers. It gives the nose of the Jenny it's distinctive cant. But, the Hisso Jenny is straight. It does not have the downward angle of the engine. It's engine bearer is straight.

I had an OX-5 drawing for Station 3 and a real piece for a pattern, but I had to figure out the rest. First, I put an original engine bearer in place and made sure that it was level. Then I measured where the cross brace would go and ensured that it was also level. Matching the two gave me the location of the cutout.



Here's how I made the cutout. Four holes were drilled for the saber saw to fit.



Here's the hole after the center dropped out. Don't forget to flip it over and re-cut the other side. The saber saw blade has a little flex to it. This ensures that it is square.



Then the rest can be routed in the usual method.



I did not get to completely sand everything smooth today. I ran out of time. But the rough shape was routed and the finishing touched will be completed next time.

I put the original Station 3 piece in the picture above so you can see the difference between the OX-5 and Hisso hole location.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home