Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Station 11

In the mail today came a great book titled Manual of Rigging and Technical Data. It looks like it was published around 1918 or so and it really has some great stuff in it! For those of you thinking about building a Jenny, I would recommend getting this book.

My friend and fellow Bucker pilot Bob Bailey was kind enough to copy this original manual and send it to me. He has a few more copies and the price is reasonable, so if anyone wants one get in touch with me and I'll put you in touch with Bob.

The book also has lots of detail about the Thomas-Morse Scout and DeHavilland DH4 - like how to build the wing jigs, fuselage alignment procedures etc. Plus, lots of Jenny stuff.



Thanks, again, Bob. The book will be put to good use.

In the shop today. I welded up the lower Station 11 bracket. On the top, there are two cutouts for brace tubes. I started by drilling pilot holes and widening them with a 1/2 in. drill bit.



I'm sure a milling machine would work better here, but since I don't have a milling machine, I used a Dremel tool to clean out the holes.



Here's the piece before drilling.



I also made two more "ear pieces" for the Station 11 Universal fittings. I miscalculated when I sent the order to the water jet cutter, so I had to make two ears the old fashioned way - band sawing, grinding and filing.



Till next time. Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home