Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, September 07, 2007

Fuselage Station 2 and 3

Whew, what a month. I realize it's been a long time since I posted anything on this blog. Sorry. I was away for school, flew several trips, did an extensive annual inspection on a friends Bucker Jungmann and the kids started baseball practice...there went the month.

But, it felt good to get back to work on the beloved Jenny.

I built the "U" shaped brackets that go on Station 2 lower fittings.



Then they were brazed in place.



Here's how it goes. I made the wooden brace, too. Interestingly, there is no taper on this piece of Spruce. I don't know why. All the others taper one way or another. But, the drawings call for it to be made this way and that's the way it was made.



Here's a closer shot. I have a temporary piece of ash stuck in there for spacing. The lower longeron will go there eventually.



I began making Station 3 lower brace. Remember what I just said about taper? The drawings showed a taper on the top and back of the brace. The front and bottom were square. Why?

Paul Dougherty explained it - the firewall attaches here! Now it makes sense. You can't attach the firewall if the brace tapers.



Here it is in place.



Another shot. The inside fitting is original and correct. I did not get any outside fittings with the project but I did get an extra set of inside ones. So, the extra inside fittings will be modified to work on the outside. They are very close in shape. Basically, the flanges will have to be reversed and two ears cut off. More about that later. For now, it's all temporarily clamped in place.



More early next week. Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home