Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

upper cross pieces

Had a good shop day yesterday. It didn't start out that way, but turned out all right.

I headed out to the shop on Monday with the intention of cutting most of the upper horizontal pieces of the fuselage. But, then Cricket came out to the shop - the in-laws elderly dog (which we were babysitting) wasn't doing very well and passed away a few hours later. After dealing with this, I went back to the shop only to cut Station 6 too short twice! I put away the tools and walked away. It was one of those days.

I returned to the shop yesterday and resumed work. I started with Station 6 again ant worked my way aft. I'm really amazed by how the Curtiss engineers were so weight conscious. Each horizontal brace was tapered on both sides and routed to save weight!

Anyway, the 1 1/8 in. spruce was cut to length and the taper was cut on the bandsaw.



Then the drum sander was used to sand to the line. The taper goes from 1 1/8 in. in the middle to 3/4 in. on the ends.



Finally, I used the router table with a 45 degree block to rout the edges.



Here's a completed brace. As you make your way rearward, the pieces also taper on the ends to compensate for the curved longerons. By station 10, the taper is 6 1/2 degrees.



Here's a close up of the brace in the universal fitting. This end will eventually get coppered and drilled for an AN3 bolt.



Here's the day's progress - Stations 6 through 10 are now made.



I hope to get the last station finished tomorrow and the longerons cut and trimmed for the tailpost. Till then...

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home