Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Tail Post area

More fittings cane back from the water jet cutter. I used a local guy in Newnan, GA and he was very reasonable on price. Plus, he surprised me by calling the next day and saying the parts were done!

Anyway, I had the upper tail post fittings made, two engine bearer support plates and Station 4 fittings cut. Here they are:



Now, to make them work. The upper tail post fitting was...shall we say...interesting. If you follow the drawings closely, it works out pretty well. I used heat with this fitting and bent it over some block steel. Watch the 14 1/2 degree angle pretty closely and the rest works out.



Here's the finished part in temporary primer. The finish will get scratched as I build the tail post area anyway, so no use wasting good paint.



To cut the ash pieces, I used a simple coping saw.



After several cuts, I put a scrap tail post in place. This one came with the project and was no good. But I found a great use for it as the tailpost template! I can tap it, twist it and move it around to get the end straight without worrying about damaging it. I'll make the new tailpost later.



Till tomorow

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home