Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, July 20, 2007

Station 4/5 Fittings

I finished making the front and back pieces this afternoon. They were simple bends in .060 steel, however one top bend went 9 1/2 degrees upwards and the other went 9 1/2 degrees downwards. Two of each had to be made.

Then the front and back pieces were clamped in place.



And brazed together. Here's the first one after brazing and grinding smooth.



Looks like the original on the right. I must drill the holes to size yet.



The second one was finished as well. Now I have all the fittings for Station 4 and 5.



Enjoy

Brian

3 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

Brian.
Excellent workmanship, Have you NDT the metal fittings that have been fabricated.
Just a concern.

Angel Miniet

6:19 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Hi Angel,

Thanks for the kind words. As a matter of fact, I'm having a few fittings NDT'd as we speak.

Some of the simple flat stock fittings bent into place are not really a concern of mine. After bending, I usually heat them up with a torch to relieve them.

However, I just had the wing attach fittings machined out of solid steel. They are pretty critical and I'm having a local shop NDT them.

Hope you're enjoying the Jenny progress. Come visit us in Atlanta sometime. Thanks for your comments.

Brian

5:53 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

Hello Brian.

Thank you for the invitation. I will visit once it is done, I recently finished building a 1/5th scale Jenny, more in scale with my pocket book.
Are you going to build to today's standards, nav lights, radios etc?
Great job Brian.
JN 4 Jenny. That wonderful flying contraption.

Angel

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home