Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, July 30, 2007

Fuselage

There was a lot of "hour here, hour there" type of sporadic shop work done this week. For example, I made ten more universal fittings for the bottom longeron. For the sake of repetition, I'll leave it at that! Here's a fitting about to go into the bead blaster.



Now, for the fun stuff. I routed the inside of the station 5 vertical pieces with just a simple 1/4 in round bit. I used a router fence and set it up to cut on the line. It worked really well. Notice how the router bit left a rather abrupt end to the cut.



Some people choose to leave it that way. That's fine, but I went for originality. The cut tapers gently over about an inch or so.

Paul Dougherty showed me how to use a nifty ramp setup for this, but I found that with the small pieces, I could just sand the taper with a Dremel bit.



Here's Station 5 so far. I must cut the half round holes for the spar carry-through assembly next. It is nice to have an original for a pattern....irregardless of the shape it's in.



The left and right upper longerons are joined bu a 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 piece of ash. I did not have any scrap from doing the longerons, so a call to my friend Walter Ivey (remember when I needed a steamer?) and he found some ash for me. He was kind enough to plane it to size as well. It's nice to have friends like that.

Anyway, here is where the piece will go. I have to build the steel fitting and strap yet.



Walter also planes some ash pieces for the engine bearers. Two pieces of spruce are sandwiched between two pieces of ash. Here is one of the new pieces next to the rotted original.



Till next time. Enjoy!

Brian

1 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

hey with jt today and we checked in your progress....starting to look like an airplane. When you get done you can come over and help finish my bird.-CS

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home