Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, June 22, 2007

Visit

I've said this before on this blog, and I will say it again - It never ceases to amaze me how many nice people there are out there in the world. Case in point:

The other day, I had a trip to San Antonio, Texas. On the layover, I called fellow Jenny restorer Phil Mintari and he invited me to see his airplane.

Phil and Vern Hatch (who also restored a great looking Curtiss Canuck) met me at the shop. Boy, were they helpfull! I had a chance to look over their Jenny and photograph every fitting. Many unanswered questions were answered. They were very helpful.



Phil then took me to his home where he and his lovely wife Patricia made me feel like visiting royalty! I spent the evening with them, swapping stories and generally enjoying each other's company. By the end of the evening, I felt like one of the family. I hated to leave, but it was a long drive back to San Antonio and I had an early takeoff the next morning.

Before heading down the road, Phil loaded up my car with a few Jenny parts! Four wing struts, two new stick socket castings, the fan shaped casting where the aileron cables attach, a tail skid and a bag full of strut end fittings. I was speechless. I had been searching high and low for these parts. I promised Phil and Patricia that the parts would fly again. Little did they know, I was talking about the next day!



This picture proves it! Nylsa King, Gordon Clement (who owns a Bucker Jungmann as well) and myself ham it up for the camera after flying back to Atlanta. Gordon remarked that these wing struts had probably never traveled so fast in their entire lives.



Gordon also came up with an idea for mounting the tail skid!

Anyway, back to work on the Jenny this weekend.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home