Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Friday, June 15, 2007

Station 3

As previously discussed, Station 3 is part of the engine mount. I decided to make a jig with the exact inside dimensions of the fuselage (24 inches). I used ordinary 2 X 4's.



One thing, though. The tube fits inside of the Station 3 fittings, so the inside diameter is really 23 13/16 in, to make up for the width of the fittings. I cut the tube to length on the bandsaw and ground to final shape.

Also, notice the block of wood in the center of the jig. The tube does not touch the engine bearers. A bracket will be welded on for that purpose. So, I made a 15/16 in. block to take up the space. This makes the tube more stable in the jig.



First step after measuring - clamp the side brackets in place.



Here's the tube ready for welding. Unfortunately, tack welding the tubes burned up the side pieces of the jig! I'd like to save the jig for future Jenny builders, so I'll make new side pieces when I get some time.



Here's a close up of the tube after welding. I held it up to the Station 3 fitting so you can see how it goes. It will make better sense soon. Hang on. Next I have to weld the Center Section Wire fitting and the bearer bracket. Plus, the middle of the tube must be cut out and replaced with the curved piece. Such a complex simple piece! Should be back at it early next week. Till then....

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home