Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

fittings

Time to bend fittings! Here are the blanks about to be bent. The small fittings have the outer tabs bend upwards 20 degrees and the center tab 45 degrees. The main fitting has the tabs bent upward at 90 degrees.



I used a 3/4 in bending block and tapped the edges into place.



Then, the pieces are mated and brazed together.



Here's my friend David Daugherty taking his turn brazing.



Here are all the fittings for the lower part of the fuselage bent and ready to be brazed. The Universal fitting is used at every station from 6 to 10.

So, a total of 20 fittings need to be built.



Next shop day, I'll bend the fittings to fit the longeron.

While I had some time, I made the side brackets for Station 3. I cut the fittings out of .10 steel. Here is the evolution from plate to fitting. That's an original OX-5 fitting (cut off) on the left. The tubes bent in the previous blog will be welded to these brackets (so the Hisso will fit).



This will come together next time we meet.

Until then

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home