Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fuselage

Sorry for the delay posting this blog. My Bucker Jungmann needed an annual inspection, and since it was already torn apart, I decided to finally installed that inverted oil system I always wanted. Things went pretty well, albeit it took longer than I anticipated.

Now, back to the Jenny!

Each splice gets two screws to help hold it together. I drilled and countersunk the hole and added the screws.



Then, I started building the top cross members. Each brace is a different length and has a different degree of taper. Watch out! The drawings show the dimensions at the centerline of the brace and does not take into account the taper.



I'll post more on this later. Each brace is also tapered laterally, too. I guess Curtiss was pretty weight conscious back then.



Here's how the universal fittings fit. Hope to have more in place soon.

enjoy

Brian

4 Comments:

Anonymous Ryan Keough said...

Hi Brian - Just wanted to say how much I love this blog. For us vintage aircraft lovers that are lacking in the mechanical department, your writing and documentation is about as comprehensive and enjoyable as it gets! Thanks for bringing us along on this journey!

6:11 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Brian, Man you've made a lot of progress since I last viewed the blog. Keep it up, as I will with my project.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

Thanks, Ryan!

I'm glad you like the blog. It's nice to hear kind words.

Come on down to Atlanta and someday see the Jenny in the air.

Keep in touch

Brian

6:05 PM  
Blogger Brian Karli said...

JT

There is joy in creating something that flies, as I see in you own builders blog. You keep bucking rivets and I'll keep cutting wood.

Check out JT's RV8 blog at www.jtsrv8project.blogspot.com

Brian

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home