Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Longeron jigs

After doing some thinking the other day, I decided to make a better longeron jig. I bought some MDF board at Lowes. This was much nicer to shape than plywood. And it came in 3/4 in thickness, so two pieces equal the width of the longeron.

Below is my friend and fellow Bucker pilot Dave Daugherty. He's clamping the upper longeron in the new jig.



Here's the lower longeron jig being cut.



Finished product. A bit of advice - Just when you think you allowed enough extra curve for springback, add even more! I was amazed at the woods memory. This will make your life easier.



This jig has a deeper bend. We'll see how it goes when we fire up the steamer next week.

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home