Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Thursday, April 26, 2007

fuselage beginning

First thing today, I finished bolting the spider plate to the plywood. I made sure the entire thing was true and vertical. The plate height was calculated from the upper longeron plan. By a little higher math, I calculated that the height should be 8 1/16 in.

The 2 X 4 pieces held the plywood rigid.



Now, the longerons were set in place. I drilled the 5/16 in. holes where the ash met the spider plate and put some temporary AN-5 bolts in place. The cross braces held everything in place.



Also derrived from the Curtiss drawings - at 18 21/32nds from the firewall, the longeron should curve above the table 1 15/16 in. The triangular block was cut to that height.



Then, pull the clamps tight. It worked pretty well! I was pleased.

Next step is to taper the end of the longeron to 1 1/2in and cut for the splice. Till then...

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home