Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Rudder Horns

I really didn't have a detailed drawing (full sized) to know how big the rudder horns were supposed to be. Luckily, my good friend and fellow Jenny restorer Paul Dougherty measured his horns for me and came up with 10 in. from the front hole to the base and 10 3/8 in. from the rear hole to the rear of the base. With a protractor, I measured the only drawing available and came up with an angle of 83 degrees, which seemed about right.

Bet you didn't think a control horn would be this complex!




Anyway, I trimmed the bottom of the horns to match the 83 degree angle. The base was then welded (above).
Tip - put a little hole in the center of the base before welding. This allows the heated air to escape rather than blow out your last section of weld.



Here are both horns.



The horns get a 14 degree angle downward to allow the rudder cables to angle towards the fuselage. I built both horns straight. It was easier than trying to remember which horn got which angle during the assembly process. Simply, I heated the end with a torch and gave it a 14 degree twist.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home