Curtiss Jenny Restoration

Welcome! We hope you enjoy following the restoration process of a 1918 Curtiss JN4D Jenny. Once completed, the aeroplane will be flown and displayed at the Candler Field Museum in Williamson GA (30 miles south of Atlanta). You can contact me below by clicking on "VIEW MY PROFILE"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia, United States

Monday, January 08, 2007

tail stuff

After taking all the metal parts off the tail, I had a chance to spray them with the DP-90. Don't make fun of the space suit - it really works well. I like fresh air.

Here you can see the leading edge of the stabilizer go from grey to black.



I still have a bunch of little parts to paint yet. I did mount the two elevator trailing edges (below) on the frame. Looks kinda neat in black. Also, now that the finish color is on the metal, I was able to put the copper hold down strips on the trailing edge to spar fairings. You can see the copper in the bottom of the picture.



While the paint was drying, I began coppering the top of the fin.



Remember - nail down only one side, drill your holes, nail down the other side, then drill back through the holes. No need to say "now where was that hole?"



Here's the tip completed with the hinge and bolt back in place.

Enjoy

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home